Sunday, March 27, 2016

William Carlos Williams and Joseph Hutchison


            What depends upon a red wheelbarrow? So much. I’ve loved this modest, beautiful poem for years, and this week I was excited to hear the poet himself read “The Red Wheelbarrow” in the recording posted. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed. I listened again, hoping it was fluke, and my disappointment was confirmed. The disappointment soon turned into an… I don’t know, irritation? The thing was, I had this annoying voice in my head telling me I couldn’t possibly “like” the poem if I didn’t enjoy it when THE POET HIMSELF read it.
            I went back to the words on the page, and realized that a huge reason why I love the poem is because it speaks to me visually. The odd lineation –Williams’ use of enjambment– cause me to slow down. Of course, wheelbarrow is one word. But what happens when “wheel” has a big blank space next to it? Although “barrow” follows, it gets its own line. So even though “barrow” is clearly connected to “wheel,” in this poem it also stands alone. The same is true for “rain / water” and “white / chickens.” In all fairness to Williams (as if he needs my fairness) I don’t think there is a way to read that sense audibly. It has to be seen. Audibly hearing, “So much depends upon a red wheelbarrow…” is simply not the same thing as reading and seeing the words as they are arranged on the page.
            The red wheelbarrow, glazed with rainwater, sits beside white chickens. But Williams gives “barrow”, “water”, and “chickens” space to exist apart from the words that modify them. Even still, “so much depends,” somehow, on the image of the entire scene. The poem can’t be reduced to “chickens” (or any other word for that matter). Without the first two lines, the poem would read more like a list. But “so much depends / upon” each of the ordinary objects that make up this vivid scene.   
            Speaking of brief, Joseph Hutchinson goes about the task of transforming an ordinary object in his one-line poem:
“Artichoke”
O heart weighed down by so many wings
            Like Williams and his red wheelbarrow, Hutchinson makes me pause over something as mundane as an artichoke. The poem’s brevity, and even its lack of punctuation, contribute to the notion that paying attention only requires a moment. Whether its a leafy artichoke, or the rainwater glistening in a wheelbarrow, both are made significant upon closer look.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I love how some of these poems capture everyday moments or objects, causing us to turn them over in our minds and enjoy them differently than we normally would. It's ironic that the artichoke is weighted down by wings...I never thought there would be the day when I felt something after reading about a vegetable. I think I would feel so much pressure trying to write a one-line poem (or even a several-line poem), but I enjoy reading short ones so much; I'm repeatedly amazed at how the poets can pick such an interesting and seemingly perfect combination of words. Thanks for sharing the artichoke! I enjoy reading your posts every week--always thoughtful and well-written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love how some of these poems capture everyday moments or objects, causing us to turn them over in our minds and enjoy them differently than we normally would. It's ironic that the artichoke is weighted down by wings...I never thought there would be the day when I felt something after reading about a vegetable. I think I would feel so much pressure trying to write a one-line poem (or even a several-line poem), but I enjoy reading short ones so much; I'm repeatedly amazed at how the poets can pick such an interesting and seemingly perfect combination of words. Thanks for sharing the artichoke! I enjoy reading your posts every week--always thoughtful and well-written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your analysis encourages me to think of poetry as a physical object. I think your frustration with listening to the poem points to how the form contributes to the meaning (or even creates it?). I love that both Williams and Hutchinson poems offer new perspectives on plain objects. The way Williams' frames this poem with the phrase "so much depends" makes me think of his other poems that use the title or first lines to frame the meaning of the poem.

    Great thought-provoking post!

    ReplyDelete